This course will discuss steps to take to help each finance(e) learn about the other's finances - the good, the bad, and the ugly. How to find the information about each other - with their permission and cooperation. And how to face and fix the problems we discover.
Upon successful completion of this course participant should be able to be complete the following objectives:
- Getting Engaged is Romantic
- Some Things to Ask
- Clarifying each party's attitude towards money
- Pulling Reports
- Getting answers about invisible obligations - like child support and alimony (in arrears?)
- Making provisions to clean up problems before marriage
- OR providing guidance on keeping income and assets separated
- When to Advise Marriage - if they are NOT Engaged?
- When to Not to Get Married at All
- When to Schedule the Marriage
- How to handle MFJ vs MFS taxes after marriage when someone discovers the new spouse's financial problems.
CPE Credits: 2 CPE for CPAs
Instructional Method: Self-Study
NASBA Field of Study: Taxes
Program Prerequisites: None
Advanced Preparation: None
Revision Date: April 6, 2021