The malware and cybersecurity landscapes are constantly shifting in response to the actions of one another. On one side, cybersecurity experts are identifying, analyzing, and patching new forms of malware as consistently as possible so they can be detected by antivirus software and purged from infected systems before they can cause harm to their potential victims. On the other side, malware creators and cybercriminal organizations are constantly creating new malware, and altering old malware, to circumvent cybersecurity efforts and continue to infect as many computers as possible for a variety of purposes. This course will identify the overarching concepts that make up the current information security landscape. This course will provide an overview of the different types of malware that can infect a computer system as well as the different techniques used to conduct both phishing attacks and identity theft. This course will identify the general malware trends over the past several years and explain how the current malware landscape arrived at where it is today. Finally, this course will describe the most commonly seen pieces of malware from this year and provide both an in-depth explanation on how the malware operates and best practices to properly deal with each piece of malware.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the importance of information security for CPAs and Tax Practitioners,
- Identify the different types of malware that can infect computer systems,
- Define the term “Phishing” and recognize how phishing occurs,
- Define the term “Identify Theft” and recognize how identify theft most commonly occurs,
- Identify the major malware events that have occurred in recent years, and
- Identify the operating processes and mitigation techniques for the most commonly seen malware programs of the current year.
CPE Credit: 6 CPE for CPAs
Instructional Method: Self-Study
NASBA Field of Study: Information Technology
Program Prerequisites: None
Advanced Preparation: None
Revision Date: April 1, 2022